December Moments

December has been jam packed- a lot busier than normal village life! While I cannot share all of it without doing a biblical length blog, I wanted to give some snapshots. First off, sweet Emalai is our family's little Ugandan. She loves to help her friends cook, fetch water, work in the garden or bathe children.

Makai got really into his choir singing this month. One night, he made up several songs about baby Jesus in the manger. When Dad told him it was time for bed, Makai sang in response, "Baby Jesus is in the manger and I don't want to go to bed."

Makai and I love playing together. One day, he decided we were "hunnies" (a married couple) and proceeded to get us dressed up for a short wedding in front of the Christmas tree.

Emalai stole my "hunny" when I was at youth group. They sat together at our kid's table for a date. This lasted every meal for weeks.

Residue after spraying an army of ants that invaded our house.

Our friend Arika Samson composed a song for Christmas. He invited Grace and I to sing it with him and two other friends.

I apparently am not the best at recording songs. Grace, however, got all into it!

Black and white
different sights
but hearts same
by Jesus claimed
no skin can change
Love's reach or range
God will unify His
church despite difference
a dissimilarity meant
to rejoice not repent;
to togetherness in God's
image we are called

Sadly, one of our friends who was supposed to sing with us got sick. We still had fun. Luka tagged along as a commentator.

Afterwards, we took the boys out for ice cream and bongo (yogurt). Samson had never tried yogurt; upon tasting it, he decided it was his new best friend.

surely
God
crafted
colors
they
make
my 
heart
sing

December had a few rough days for me. In the rising anxiety, God brought me to photography, a skill I used to use a ton for healing, but had stopped utilizing frequently. God uses His creation to speak to us about Himself; photography forces one to stop and notice the smallest details of His work. 
In the picture above, God reminds me that He's holding me. Though I'm delicate and may be deemed a weed, Christ sees me as beautiful and takes personal interest in me.

God's sun shine through my holes and inadequacies to highlight His glory.
(Note how your eyes are drawn to the sun in the photo before the leaves. Likewise, God's glory shines, catching people's attention before they see that it's shining through the weakness of His children)

Makai is in the phase of "I can do it myself". He's insisted on practicing hoeing in the sandbox and making a fire with dried leaves (all with parental guidance).

Singing Christmas carols in front of the Christmas tree.

Reflection
a piece of reality
without
depicting its entirety

My friends here laugh when I want to take pictures of everyday objects. However, I just smile at them; I can't pass up a chance to capture to beauty of a blessing so often passed over without recognition.

A knife sharpener. He has a blade attached to the front of his bicycle. When he peddles, the blade turns and he can hold a knife (or hoe or panga/machete) up to the spinning blade.

My dear
I know it feels
safe in here
yet Christ is real
He wants to
bring you out from
shadows into
freedom

Broken
beautiful
blessed
though in
distress,
disciplined
destined
for reward
greater
than this
grief

A point of focus

Local trade show: a place to sell crafts, snacks and kids' entertainment

Makai loved the paddle boats! Thankfully the water was see through this year, rather than a puddle of green.

We played a lot of Pictionary this month. Makai's creations are always tricky to guess. 

Mom hosted a missionary Christmas Caroling night. Although we by no means sound ready for America's Got Talent, the night was a beautiful time to meditate on Scripture and sing praises to the King.

A missionary family from Argentina recently moved in near us. Their presence has been a joy to us. Makai and Isaias enjoyed the bubbles Mom gave them during our missionary Christmas supper on the 22nd.
After supper, Mom did a hands-on devotional. She reminded us that God welcomes us to give Him our junk and in return, He gives us the gifts of joy, peace, forgiveness, comfort and hope. How gracious is the Lord who gave His all so we can have everything in Him!

The 23rd we went to town for a brunch... which took two hours to come. Actually, only two thirds of what was included in the breakfast ever came. But we made it fun by watching town's Christmas craziness. Notice the guy selling Christmas decor (including a Christmas headband on his head) in the middle of the street.

Crazy busy during Christmas time because everyone is returning to their villages for the holiday.

Simple scene
marvelous moment

The lady who helps Mom around our house gave us a turkey for Christmas- a huge gift! We took it to the village for the church Christmas party. Makai was nervous about such a big bird sitting behind his seat, so he regularly checked on it.

Merry Christmas from the Shaarda family party on Christmas Eve!

Poor Emalai was sick with an on and off fever, stomach ache and throat pain from Christmas eve until New Year's eve. She had such a good attitude about it.

Grace got me a wall basket for my dorm room in Moody Bible Institute, where I will be attending in the 2024-25 school year.

Makai helps everyone open their gifts.

Excitement!

One generation reflects
their beliefs unto the next

New Nike Air Forces for 20,000 Ugandan Shillings (about $6)

The beautiful mess afterwards

We sang carols as a family and read from the Bible after supper. What a precious, holy moment together!

Christmas day! Starting with a church service.
I admire my parents greatly for sitting together every Sunday in church. They have taught me so much about what it means to come together and be one in a holy, unbreakable covenant.

Shaarda ladies! I got my Christmas prom dress from our local Monday market for 5,000 ush (less than $2)!

Serving lunch

It's a Christmas tradition to play volleyball at church. Because it was a smaller group than normal (a neighbor had a house dedication party and others celebrated with family), we all got to play for a long time!

In closure, Makai and I made this fire from dry eucalyptus leaves scattered around our yard. The smell drifted across the yard, spreading an incense-like aroma. The beauty of the fire's orange heat dancing under black coals challenges me to dance in celebration of the Lord's glory no matter the situation. I pray God uses this life, body and soul to spread the aroma of His presence!

 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reasons for the Tears

Baby!

Ethiopia